Thursday, September 1, 2016

My Dad's Godfather Was Literally A God

Now bear with me, as this story is extremely out of the ordinary and out of this world. It also sounds ridiculous in modern English, a language not really made for telling these divine stories. There are words and expressions in Vietnamese that just cannot translate into English. Please read this with love and openness in your heart.

My dad's godfather was literally a god. It sounds way more badass in English.  In Vietnamese, the word for godfather translates directly to adoptive father.  Actually, that's still pretty badass.

In Buddhism and Ancient Chinese mythology, there are a multitude of bodhisattvas, gods, demi-gods, deities, divine beings, etc.  My dad's godfather was a god in ancient times, but it is believed that he had committed a wrongdoing and fell to the earth realm where he became a powerful spirit.  My grandfather collected the spirit, nurtured and befriended him, and he agreed to be one of my grandfather's spirit generals.  Grandfather said that not all spirits are bad or evil.  They sometimes want to befriend and assist people who have good and friendly intentions.  My grandfather asked for assistance from his spirit generals during rituals, cleansings, ceremonies, and exorcisms.  This was a special spirit-shaman friendship though, and the spirit even agreed to be Godfather to my dad.  

My dad's first memory of his Godfather visiting was when he was 7 years old.  My grandfather had invited a medium over so the Godfather can speak to and hold my dad.  My dad doesn't remember much accept that he was terrified of this strange man, with a booming voice, who kept referring to my dad as is his son.  My dad cried and cried because he was so frightened. He remembers having stomach pain during his whole childhood.  My grandparents took this opportunity to ask the Godfather what they should do.  My grandpa was skilled in all types of eastern herbal remedies but nothing had helped.

"DON'T WORRY! HE'LL BE FINE! IT IS WRITTEN THAT HE MUST SUFFER FOR 12 YEARS. HOWEVER, AFTER THAT HE WILL HAVE PAID HIS DEBTS AND HIS ILLNESS WILL GO AWAY" the Godfather boomed.

"But we are so worried. He's in so much pain all the time. We've tried everything and nothing is helping. Are you sure it will just resolve on its on?" my grandmother asked anxiously.

"LISTEN TO ME! DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR HUSBAND! THE BOY WILL BE FINE!".

The next time and last time the Godfather visited my dad was when my dad was 12 years of age.  He was more prepared this time and was excited to spend time together.  This time, my grandfather offered his own body as a vessel for the Godfather to use.

Instantly, my grandfather's posture changed and his voice became unrecognizable.

"MY SON! WHERE IS MY SON? I WANT TO SEE MY SON!" the Godfather bellowed.  His voice was so strong and booming, my dad was sure their little house would shatter.

"Hurry! He's asking for you!" said my grandma, ushering my dad forward.

"W-who are you?" my dad asked timidly.

"WHY, I'M YOUR FATHER, OF COURSE!"

"D-dad?"

"NO, YOUR FATHER! WHERE IS MY HAT? WHERE ARE MY CLOTHES? WHERE ARE MY SHOES? WHERE IS MY SWORD? DO YOU KNOW WHERE THEY ARE? BRING THEM TO ME!" he suddenly demanded.

"W-why do you need your sword right now?" dad stammered nervously.  He hurriedly fetched the Godfather's fresh clothes, hat, and shoes.  The Godfather changed into the attire that was set aside specifically for his visits.  This was no ordinary outfit. It was warrior attire, like the ones from Ancient China.  His sword is called a dao, a single edged sword, also known as a Chinese sabre.

I imagine his attire must have been similar to this

Dao sword
"COME HERE LET ME HOLD YOU!" he boomed cheerily.  He tightly wrapped his arms and his legs around my dad's frail body.  His skin felt boiling hot as if he was running a severe fever.

"F-father? Can you not squeeze so hard...because...death..." dad breathed.

"DEATH? GODS CANNOT DIE! DON'T WORRY!" he said matter-of-factly, not realizing Dad meant that HE would die from the squeezing.  The Godfather let go. "WATER! WATER! WATER! BRING ME SEVERAL CUPS! I'M SO THIRSTY!!!" he suddenly exclaimed.

My dad brought him three to four ceramic cups of water. He watched the Godfather quickly guzzle the water and proceeded to chew up the cups and swallow them.  Dad freaked out. What?!....How.....Why? thought Dad.

"Father! Is your stomach okay?" 

"I'M FINE! THAT STUFF? THAT IS LIKE PAPER TO ME!  SON, I WILL NO LONGER BE VISITING YOU IN THE FUTURE. BUT BEFORE I LEAVE, I WANT TO TRANSFER IT ALL TO YOU".  He placed his hand on my dad's solar plexus, the stomach area where he had been in pain all these years.  "THERE, YOU HAVE ALL OF IT. FROM NOW ON  YOU WILL BE STRONG AND HEALTHY, SO HAVE NO FEAR, MY SON". He chuckled and with that he was gone.

When my grandfather came to, my dad touched his belly.

"Dad are you okay? How does your stomach feel? You ate a bunch of cups earlier!" my dad said worriedly.

Grandpa laughed. "That wasn't me. That was him! He ate it and he took all that with him. There is nothing in my stomach so I'm fine!"

A short time after, western medicine came to Vietnam via the war.  Dad was given some sort of antibiotic pill for his stomach illness. And just like the Godfather had said, at 12 years of age the illness would be cured and he never felt the stomach pain again.

To this day, my dad is still baffled by the sizzling skin, that booming voice, and most of all the cup eating. Dad is a huge skeptic and tries to science everything. But 44 years later and he still cannot explain what happened and what he saw with his own eyes.  My dad lives his life with no fear, because deep down he knows that his Godfather is protecting him from the beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment